Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pursuit of Etcetera by Meredith

If I had to sum it up in one sentence, I’d say that Indie by Design is a collaboration of some quirky and creative artists trying to figure out their place in the world. A place where we can explore and embark upon our passions, while trying to maintain some resemblance of convention, without losing ourselves in the process. My individual challenge is that every time I embark on one of my personal passions, I end finding myself distracted by lack of sleep, dishes in the sink, school work that needs to be finished, or just overall poor time budgeting skills. I’ve come to the place where I’ve realized I need to find some type of balance and security in my life before I can really attack all of my ambitions and dreams with the fervor they deserve.

My journal will really focus on creating the foundation I need to nurture these goals, but I’m sure that every so often I won’t be able to help myself, so expect there to be little creative projects scattered along the way. By using Maslow’s hierarchy of needs as a loose guideline, my first tasks will be developing my physiological and security needs. These projects will focus mostly on my own physical wellbeing and creating a home that’s tidy and organized. The next step will center on my social and esteem needs, so I’ll be concentrating on my own sense of identity through mediation and journaling, as well as my relationship with those around me through volunteer work, joining clubs, taking classes and strengthening my connections to my family, friends and fiancé, Josh. My ultimate goal will be to finally tackle self-actualization by exploring my needs to design, create, and inspire myself and those around me through writing, and by creating music, art, and other exciting crafts. Again, these are just guidelines and I’ve never been one to stick with a clear-cut plan. I’ll be trying to stick to this specific arrangement, but there will definitely be some jumping around between the different levels.

The thing that gets me most excited about our Indie by Design collaboration, is that I think not only will I have a venue to express my own creativity and keep me accountable, but with the love and support from these inspirational and supportive woman, I’m pretty much setting myself up for success! Humans are social animals and they need the encouragement and love that they receive from others. Too many times we hear about people in constant competition (many times women!), frequently dragging each other down, instead of lifting each other up.

My goal for Indie by Design, is to create a safe place, where unique women are loved and encouraged for their individuality. This is a place where we can learn from each other, inspire each other, and cheer on all of our eccentric blessings.

I’m sooo excited to participate in the creation of our passions and the design of the lives that we deserve. I hope that you all enjoy the journey as much as we do!


enjoy it*

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Mer! Good luck on that journey to self-actualization!
    -Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. craving. posts. from. indie girls. aaahhh!!!

    ReplyDelete